The Cortex Hidden Fastening System is the fastest, easiest way to hide the heads of your deck screws on market-leading deck board types. Set the screw, set the plug, and you’re all set. Cortex offers a strong connection between the deck board and the joist. The new 100 lin ft package is perfect for hiding fasteners on the first board, last board, perimeter boards or stairs.
Cortex is available for use in the following decking brands:
- TimberTech XLM®
For a completely hidden fastened deck, use Cortex with our TC-G Grooved Board Clip System
All screws, plugs, and setting tools are included in every box.
- Available Options
- Installation Instructions
- Technical Data
- Product Warranty Information
- Related FM Products
Using one of the drills listed below and the Cortex setting tool, drive the Cortex fastener to the preset level below the deck surface. Continuously drive the fastener at one speed until the setting tool disengages on its own. Do not stop and start the drive as this may affect the finished appearance. It is important that the Cortex screw is driven perpendicular to the deck, with two screws per joist. The setting of the Cortex screw creates a cored hole in the deck surface. Place the Cortex engineered plug into the hole with the deck surface side up. Gently tap the plug into the cored hole until the plug is flush with the deck surface.
- Corded drill with 1⁄2" chuck
- Cordless drill with 1⁄2" chuck and 18V battery
- Impact driver
- Using the setting tool, drive the fastener to the preset level below the deck surface. It must be driven perpendicular to the deck, with two screws per joist.
- Place the plug into the cored hole and gently tap until it is flush with the deck surface.
NOTE: To get a smooth finished look, it may be necessary to predrill a 5⁄32" pilot hole through the deck board. No need to predrill the steel framing.